Now Hiring Technical Director/DOC for Arkansas State Soccer
Apply Online at United Soccer Coaches or Email to Resumes@arkansassoccer.org
Technical Director Job Description
Arkansas State Soccer Association (“Arkansas Soccer”) is seeking a candidate to fill the position of Technical Director. This individual must have the passion and leadership abilities to build a tradition of excellence and raise the level of youth soccer in the state. The applicant must be innovative and be capable of envisioning, developing, and implementing cutting-edge ideas. An outgoing personality with the ability to manage player and parent expectations is essential.
The Technical Director is responsible for leading the technical operations of Arkansas youth recreational and competitive soccer through the development of both players and coaches. This includes coaching education programs at the Grassroots level and beyond to ensure that all Arkansas youth coaches are properly trained and licensed so as to allow Arkansas players to maximize their potential at all ages.
The Technical Director is expected to play a dynamic leadership role including, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Addressing the frequent changes in the soccer landscape by adjusting plans and programs accordingly;
- Following and implementing policies and systems that foster management openness and transparency;
- Improving and continuing development of the Olympic Development Program (“ODP”) by developing a network of coaches to provide high quality instruction to Arkansas players to maximize their talents and create pathways to playing opportunities beyond the local level;
- Creating and maintaining operating budgets for the Technical Director side of Arkansas Soccer while simultaneously maintaining affordability for players;
- Hands on direction of the ODP program including managing and overseeing coaches involved in the ODP program and coordinating tryouts for players;
- Providing education courses for Arkansas coaches around the state throughout the year;
- Building relationships with member clubs to better understand the needs of and to develop and provide services desired for each particular club;
- Enhancement of the TOPSoccer program by providing assistance to local clubs already offering the program and/or desiring to implement such programs;
- Management, improvement and expansion of the First Touch Program.
The Technical Director will report to the Arkansas State Soccer Association Executive Director and must also maintain a collaborative working relationship with the Arkansas Soccer Board of Directors, Arkansas Soccer staff and volunteers, and both member club and ODP coaches, representing all areas of the state on technical soccer matters.
The Technical Director is responsible for playing a vibrant and creative leadership role in the implementation of Arkansas youth soccer’s strategic plan to further the development of soccer across the entirety of the state. The Technical Director must ensure that the long-range strategy achieves Arkansas Soccer’s mission and that consistent and timely progress toward those goals is achieved by continuously evaluating effectiveness and currency of the existing programs, suggesting potential changes where necessary.
Critical Areas of Emphasis and Applicant Attributes:
- Development and improvement of ODP to attract more players with higher quality skill levels to participate in the program
- Provide ample coaching courses across the state to allow coaches to enhance their ongoing education and to remain in compliance with Arkansas requirements
- Create and maintain a budget that exercises fiscal responsibility while providing cost effective value for the participating players and coaches
- Expand our First Touch program to increase player participation at the younger, recreational levels as a means for developing long term growth
- Applicant needs to have an outgoing personality with the ability to connect with players of all ages, parents, coaches, and other volunteers
Specific Objectives and Areas of Development for the Technical Director to focus upon:
Oversee and guide the philosophy and pathways for the development of Arkansas youth soccer players at all levels of the game:
- Develop and implement future guidelines, based upon sound principles, on the balance between training and competition at the different stages of development
- Maintain procedures for monitoring and evaluating the progress of ODP
- Facilitate clubs, leagues, and affiliations by strengthening their structures
- Work with member clubs to ensure that the technical development and training curriculum of players is a core element of Arkansas Soccer’s mission for the future
- Enhance development of players, coaches, programs, and member clubs, while cultivating a love of the game
Increase the quality and quantity of coaches through an extensive program of education, training, and resources at all levels:
- Maintain and fully implement all of the education courses for coaches from the Grassroots level and beyond
- Further align the qualifications of Arkansas soccer coaches to USSF standards
- Increase the number and distribution of educational opportunities around the state with a strong emphasis on local needs and delivery
- Provide opportunities for continuous professional development for Arkansas soccer coaches
Maintain a clear development structure for emerging talent:
- Implement partnership with relevant affiliates
- Work with the Arkansas Soccer board and member clubs to develop and maintain appropriate competition structures
Enhance regional and national success:
- Continue to adopt a planned and progressive approach to training and competition schedules for elite youth players in Arkansas
- Continue to develop the capacities (technical, tactical, mental, physical, personal, lifestyle) of players to maximize the possibility of opportunities beyond Arkansas
- Constantly monitor national and world trends within the game and within the sport
- Extend and further promote a hunger, passion and competitiveness to play at the highest levels offered within Arkansas
- U.S. Soccer A License (valid)
- Current US Soccer National Staff Instructor
- Progressive experience in management, a significant portion of which is within a complex nonprofit organization with a member-service focus
- Experience in association management
- Excellent people skills, including strong consultative facilitation, listening, and decision making skills
- Ability to work with multiple supervisory and/or collaborative bodies, including the Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, including the ability to attract, motivate, and develop staff and leadership volunteers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven track record of providing strategic direction in a collaborative manner to inspire and implement a shared vision
- Demonstrated experience managing program operations within budget constraints
- Excellent computer skills
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and to work with tact and diplomacy
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Ability to maintain controlled competitiveness that distinguishes between short-term wins and long-term success
- Ability to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends
- Ability to travel regularly within the state and occasionally outside the state
- Experience with youth soccer and/or youth-centered organizations
- Proven track record of success coaching and developing teams
- Playing experience at some level in the sport
- Winning mentality with energy and enthusiasm
- Multi-lingual (Spanish) is preferred but not required
Salary commensurate with experience, plus an excellent benefits package, including health insurance, vacation/sick leave, and 401k retirement program.
To apply for this position:
Electronic submissions are required to be considered for this position and only complete submissions will be considered. Send a cover letter addressing your desire, availability and qualifications for the position, a resume, and a list of three professional references to Resumes@ArkansasSoccer.org. The search committee will use only these submissions to rank candidates against the requirements listed in the job description and to select interviewees so please address these requirements directly in your correspondence.
Candidate screening will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Arkansas State Soccer Association is an equal opportunity employer.