2016-17 Coaching Course Schedule - ASSA Courses.
Look below for Pre-course homework on the Digital Coaching Center (DCC) to the specific course and more details about each course...
Assignments need to be done prior to the first class session
|E License Course***Friday night start 6:30pm
|D2 License Course/D1 Aug 5-7
|D2 License Test Center/Provisional
|National Youth Coaching Course
||Aug 16-20, 2017
For a more complete list of coaching education courses offered across the country, please refer to the following links:
- Payment for all courses can be made online. During the early registration period, ASSA members will receive a discount for D and E courses.
- The early deadline to register for the E License courses are two weeks prior to the date of the course. Enrollment in this course will be limited to a minimum of 10 and maximum of 14 coaches.
US Soccer Courses
US Soccer "C" License Retesting Dates
US Soccer Courses (State-hosted)
US Youth Soccer Courses (State-hosted)
Do you qualify for GI Bill benefits? The Department of Veteran's Affairs is offering eligible veterans reimbursement for attending a US Soccer National Coaching Course. Eligible veterans who attend the "A", "B", "C", National Youth, or National Goalkeeping course may be eligible for course fee reimbursement.
For more details: US Soccer website.
Coaching modules are open to all coaches, parents, and administrators. These 2-hour clinics provide age-appropriate guidance for coaching players in the U6/U8 or U10/U12 age groups. These courses are free to our ASSA member organizations! Schedule one with Jennifer today!
F License Coaching Course
The course is now an online course through US Soccer's Digital Coaching Center. It is a prerequisite for the E License Course. You must take the new Digital F License, no old versions will be accepted.
E License Coaching Course
The 18-hour E License course is designed for coaches of U9 and older players, and is especially important for coaches who do not have extensive soccer playing and soccer coaching experience. The curriculum focuses on player development, both as an individual and as part of a team, with an emphasis on skill development and small-sided tactical concepts. The course will also cover practical coaching methods and team management principles. The F License is a prerequisite to attend this course, but participating coaches must be at least 16 years old.
1. The fee is $95, and ASSA members who register and pay before the early deadline will receive a $25 discount.
2. The second $25 fee is required through USSF for the Digital Coaching Center. You will need to Join the Waitlist and we will invite you to the course once you have registered for the course through ASSA.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions and help for the Digital Coaching Center
Required assignments prior to attending the E License course: Digital Coaching Center
- Laws of the Game - (Complete exams through the DCC)
- Team Management Assignment - 2 assignments within (Complete in the DCC)
- Concussions in Youth Sports - BE CAREFUL and Don't Hit the Back Button (Complete in the DCC)
- Prevention and Care Webinar - (Complete in the DCC)
All assignments will be digital for the coaching courses and administered through the Digital Coaching Center. You must have access to a computer and printer for the assignments as needed.
- Friday -- 2.5 hours (6:30pm - 9:00pm)
- Saturday -- 10 hours (all day, 8:00am - 6:00pm)
- Sunday -- 9 hours (all day, 8:00am - 5:00pm)
Coaches who already hold an E Certificate can audit the course to obtain a "refresher". Auditing coaches will participate in all sessions. This is especially recommended for coaches who have not attended a coaching course in the past five years, or who are preparing to attend a D License course in the near future. The cost for the E Audit registration is just $25.
D License Coaching Course
This 36-hour course is designed to prepare coaches working with U13 and older players by expanding their understanding of the technical and tactical demands of the game and the developmental process necessary for players of these ages. In addition, the course covers practical coaching methods and teaches the framework necessary to prepare players and teams for competition. This course is conducted over two weekends which are separated by a "practice period" of approximately two months. The fee is $200, and ASSA members who register and pay before the early deadline will receive a $25 discount. You will also need to pay the US Soccer mandated fee of $25 for the Digital Coaching Center (DCC). All homework and assignments will be done using the DCC. When you register for the DCC please add yourself to the waitlist and we will send an invitation to you for the course once the ASSA registration fee is paid.
Successful completion of the D License course certifies coaches with either a National D License or D Certificate. Both licenses are non-expiring and are awarded following the completion of both theoretical and practical testing. Candidates wishing to attend a US Soccer National Coaching School to take the C License course must have earned and held a National D License for a minimum of 12 months.
Coaches who would like to upgrade from a Not Ready or D Certificate can register at the D Test Center for the Second weekend of the course for $75. Please contact Jennifer Pfeiffer for your assigned topic and lesson plan guidelines prior to the course.
If you received a Provisional status in 2016, you will register for the D Provisional at no charge if it's within a year of your original Provisional status. You must wait six months after you received your provisional status. You will also need to register for the course on the DCC.
Coaches who already hold a D License can audit the course to obtain a "refresher". Auditing coaches will participate in all sessions, but will not be tested. This is especially recommended for coaches who have not attended a coaching course in the past five years, or who are preparing to attend a C License course in the near future. The cost for the D Audit registration is $100.
Participating coaches must be at least 18 years old, and must already hold the "E" License (waivers of the "E" prerequisite are no longer available). Candidates will be evaluated on their coaching ability, and not their playing ability. However, candidates will be expected to participate in a significant number of field sessions, and thus are encouraged to prepare in advance for the physical demands of the course. If you have a condition that will limit your participation in the course, please notify the Director of Coaching in advance so that accommodations can be made.
Required Assignments prior to attending the D License Course: Digital Coaching Center
Typical schedule (two weekends, several months apart):
- Friday -- 3.5 hours (evening, 6:00pm - 9:30pm)
- Saturday -- 10 hours (all day, 9:00am - 9:00pm)
- Sunday -- 4.5 hours (half day, 10:00am - 3:30pm)
Course Format All Homework MUST BE DONE on Digital Coaching Center:
- Preparation Phase- Candidates are required to complete three (3) assigned training sessions (see session topics below)
- Instructional Phase (D Course Part 1)- Candidates meet face-to-face with instructors at a course.
- Deliberate Practice Phase (Minimum 10 Week Waiting Period)-Candidates are required to complete three (3) assigned training sessions over a minimum of 10 weeks. It is expected that the sessions be evenly distributed through the 10 week period
- Performance Review Phase (D Course Part 2)- Final on-field exam. Candidates have one full year following the completion of the deliberate practice phase to attend any performance review phase to complete the “D” course.
National Youth Coaching Course
The National Youth Coaching Course, a US Youth Soccer course, focuses upon the nature of children and the adjustments adults must make to coach them. The course curriculum covers the ages of 4-12 years old, and each day of the course focuses on one of the traditional soccer age groups of U6, U8, U10 or U12. Each day, children of the appropriate age group are brought to the course site so the candidates can work with them in a practice training session. The candidates are videotaped while coaching the kids and the video is reviewed with each candidate to aid in the education of the coach. The course combines both classroom (theory) and field (practical) sessions. The course concludes with written, oral and practical examinations. The course is $600 for 36-hours of instruction.
The complete list of required reading prior to attending this course is available on the US Youth Soccer web site. We also strongly recommend that you download and read The Official US Youth Soccer Coaching Manual before attending this course.
The prerequisite for the NYCC is the “E” license or a written waiver from the hosting state association technical director.
The candidate pre-course assignments are:
- Candidates must complete the on-line concussion course from the CDC (turn in the certificate at course check-in or electronically prior to the course): http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/online-education/
- Candidates must complete the Laws of the Game exam (turn in the exam at course check-in): http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/coaches/national_youth_coaching_course_candidates/
- Candidates must complete the on-line Coaching Healthy Habits clinic (turn in the certificate at course check-in or electronically prior to the course): http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/online-education/
- Candidates must complete the on-line clinic on writing training session plans prior to the start of the course: http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/us_youth_soccer_releases_how_to_write_a_training_session_plan/
We will hold the coaching course lectures at the Crown Plaza (201 S Shackleford Rd, Little Rock, AR 72211). We have a block of rooms under the National Youth Coaching Course for $89/night. Just call and make reservations 501-223-3000.
Field Sessions will be at Burns Park in North Little Rock, AR. Please bring clothes to wear for training sessions including flats, cleats, water, and a ball.
Typical schedule (two weekends) Aug 12-14 and Aug 19-21:
- Friday -- 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Saturday -- 8:00am-6:00pm
- Sunday -- 8:00am-5:00pm