2018 USYS Region III Andy Stone Scholarship
The Andy Stone Scholarship was set up by Region III to honor the dedication and commitment of Andy Stone, former Region III Chair. Andy passed away suddenly in 1998. Any active high school senior member of Region III may apply for the scholarship as per the guidelines listed below.
1. PERPETUAL: Funds will be invested and open for continued contributions.
2. ELIGIBILITY: a. No member of a State or Regional staff is eligible b. Is available for all registered youth players, coaches and/or referees. Will be judged on: - Years and depth of involvement - Academics - Needs - Citizenship - Extra-curricular activities
3. AMOUNT: Four $1,500 Scholarships, (one boy and one girl from 2 states), will be granted for one year with an initial payment of $1,000 to each and then a secondary payment of $500 each, which will be provided upon receipt of a transcript revealing at least a “C” average for the first grading period after the initial award. Documents should be sent to the Regional Office. The Regional Treasurer and the State Associations will coordinate where the scholarship checks will be sent, either to the recipient directly or the State Association for presentation by such association.
4. SCHOLARSHIP ROTATION: The scholarship will be offered to the states of Region III, two states at a time, beginning in 2017 with South Texas and Alabama. The first award was in 1999 to Mississippi, Andy’s home state. The succession shall rotate alphabetically as they appear in the US Youth Soccer telephone directory as follows:
2017 South Texas & Alabama
2018 Arkansas & Florida
2019 Georgia & Louisiana
2020 Mississippi & North Carolina
2021 Oklahoma & South Carolina
2022 Tennessee & North Texas
5. SELECTION: The State Associations will determine the winner of the scholarships based on the attached application form. Applications are to be submitted to the State Association (ASSA) by March 26, 2018.
6. PRESENTATION: The State Associations to determine the time and place for the presentation of the award. Winner will be announced
PRINT APPLICATION HERE