The Arkansas State Soccer Association (ASSA) is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) tax exempt corporation. Founded in 1979, ASSA is governed by a Board of Directors that is elected by representatives from our 60+ Member Associations, and maintains a State Office in Sherwood with a professional staff. Our mission is to:
- Educate coaches, players, referees, parents, and administrators
- Develop and administer soccer programs and activities for youth and adult players
- Provide opportunities and experiences for all participants where they can develop positive character traits while reaching their full potential
- Promote and stimulate interest in the game of soccer for a lifetime
ASSA currently registers approximately 25,000 youth and adult members from across the state each year. ASSA's Member Associations (or "clubs") field more than 1,600 teams each year. These clubs organize and operate their own programs, drawing on a large volunteer base of coaches and program administrators. Each association has a set of bylaws to operate by, which are submitted when applying to become a member of ASSA. Each local association has a Board of Directors which oversees the operation of the club.
Members of ASSA have access to all of our programs, events, and activities, including:
- In-state leagues for recreational and travel teams
- Regional and national leagues for elite-level teams
- Coaching education
- Referee training
- Club-sponsored tournaments
- ASSA State Cups
- Regional and national championship tournaments
- Olympic Development Program
The Arkansas State Soccer Association is part of a much larger soccer community. ASSA is a proud member of the United States Youth Soccer Association, United States Adult Soccer Association, United States Soccer Federation, and Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA).
Confused? Here's a breakdown of the hierarchy of soccer world-wide to help you understand the governing organizations of soccer and where you fit in!
We hope this has helped you learn more about soccer in your local community, the state of Arkansas, and the world as a whole! We invite you to explore our website and facebook pages to learn more about soccer in Arkansas!